Stonewall Riots (1969)
Stonewall Riots happened after a police raid of the Stonewall Inn–a gay club located on New York City’s Christopher Street–turned violent as patrons and local sympathizers began rioting against the police, marking the beginning of the LGBT movement. (History.com)
- PBS American Experience Personal experiences of those involved in and around the riots in NY
- Gay Rights Landmarks around New York City, including photographs and links to related articles
- PBS Photo Gallery Stonewall Uprising Images highlighting moments of the six day event
- New York Public Library Archives The many faces of Stonewall, including digital archives from the library’s collection of the event
- Interview with a Stonewall veteran Interview and images of Rivera’s account of the Stonewall Riots and thoughts on gender identity, being transgender, and life in NY
- Interview with Ed Koch, NYC mayor Interview with Koch, who later became the city’s mayor, about his perspective on the life and times surrounding the riots.
- Interview with Stonewall Participants Over a dozen first-hand accounts of riot veterans.